Monday, September 15, 2014

The list/saga continues

Hi again! It's been a little longer than usual, but check out where we are... This last week and a half I've added Drinking/getting drunk based on a blood alcohol content (BAC). Basically if the GUI says 8% it means 0.08% and legally drunk. This is how the game will work with drunkenness!

 But how, you ask, can you get drunk without consuming items? Shiiiit I programmed that too! Now loot items will work with 4 generic parameters (damage, rate, ammo, value). When the player uses an item the inventory script scans the item type and sends the parameters to Game Control and runs the appropriate function. So you're thinkning that's awsome d00d! What the hell does that mean? I just means some of the code is done and now I can just drag and drop items in!

And then?....Well, I learned that float types must be explicitly casted every time even in expressions. Type casting has been the source of some frustration for me.
OH! And you may notice I added a Hunger Meter?! Yes I did. Currently you run empty at five hours, that may change. The rate is also a public variable so I can slow or speed it up (devious grin) Imagine drinking a coffee to kill your buzz quickly then needing food in half the usual time!

Also: One more reason why Brandon is right: dynamic array initializing is the way to go. I haven't tried finding game assets with code but maybe it can be done. The thing is, it's super easy when you can just drag and drop them!!! Hey Wanna hear more techie crap? YES? ok I love enums. The way unity handles these is great, they become dropdown menus with real words that you can edit in unity instead of hardcoding or working in integer values.

Also: I found a quick easy solution (sometimes the best solution right?) for flipping sprites 180 degrees. Wanna know the secret?
localScale * -1
hehehehehehehe yeah... I made a note to mention good comments in source code but I think it's pretty self explanatory So one thing I really need to figure out is: what do bums eat? So far the list is half eaten garbage food, chips, deli pickles, and ketchup packets. Any other cool ideas? And while we're on the subject, I'm keeping a growing list of things I need in this game. It's in the dropbox folder for anyone intersted :)

 The biggest thing I need to tackle right now - which anyone is welcome to assist with - is level design and story boarding. The first major quest is outlined briefly but needs fine details, and the map.... well needs a map... *ahem*

So what else is new? um...... not much, lots of clicking and typing, oh and animated NPC prefabs with customize-able color schemes that can be directed with enum lists in the editor and will eventually populate the entire game. Yeah, just that. Just a little thing I've been busting my butt on. It also happens to be mostly responsible for a late post. BTW who reads this crap? Any-who, not NPCs can be dropped it, colored in parts and assigned to meander around or stand in place without ever touching code. mmmmmmm I feel progress!

AND OF COURSE A VIDEO TO SHOW OFF THE GOODS!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment