Thursday, September 4, 2014

Third Log 9-4-14

Ooooookay!

Hi everyone! This is my third post. I'm starting to get pretty excited about working on this project! So far I've been lucky to work on Unity half as much as I'd like to. Whatever the reason, I'm sure no one else in my close circle will sympathize. Family life, work, and school are supposed to come before coding and beer apparently. Meh.

So what have I got for you this time? Integration bitches! The inventory system hasn't changed much but now loot objects will be displayed on a loot layer, allowing them to keep their collision boxes separate from the player! They will include the option to be lootable or not which will determine how the Game Control handles them (integration!) Game Control now can alert the player when he picks up an item, send him a message when his inventory is full, or describe a non lootable but clickable item! 

You want more? How about a progressive game calendar? Yeah, deal with that idea! So the game promises to pass time - in game anyway! The clock is ever ticking away in real time but some activities that take a long time will cause time to pass quickly. Montages, cut scenes, black outs, and, eventually, sleeping will all push the clock forward. Soon to come: sunset/sunrise.

Isn't that enough? No? Okay, well, check out my new character sprite. He's fat and lousy, and Animated! I'll continue making my own art until I find an artist. Please ask your friends btw! Animation seems well integrated in Unity but still lacking. There seems to be no logic or conditions, also not all the game object properties are available for all items (GUI for example) so some work will always remain in scripts.

So the big take-aways from this week are:

  • Game objects should rely heavily on main scripts for flow control between object and scripts.
  • deltaTime is not related to real time. It's just not.
  • You don't always need a bunch of variables and new objects.
  • An alpha channel can act as a useful boolean flag for graphic objects that don't use it for display.
  • transform Vectors can be a huge pain in the ass.



So that's what I have for you....That, and this video of actual gameplay!

Play the actual game from the dropbox:






No comments:

Post a Comment